Part of UFT Solidarity’s mission statement is to combat workplace bullying and harassment. This not only helps our fellow UFT members, but also the students. Not many know this, and the UFT leadership does not often jump in to tell you, but there is a section of the contract that is supposed to help fight back against harassment. That section is called Article 23. The entire contract can be found here: http://www.uftsolidarity.org/wp-content/uploads/Full-Contract-from-2009-with-2014-Ratified-Sections-Included-Searchable1.pdf
However, if you or your colleagues are being harassed and bullied, please familiarize yourself with the entire contents of Article 23.
Your steps should be as follows:
- DOCUMENT EVERYTHING! Take pictures of notices, schedules or anything else you are being given that you feel is evidence of harassment. Save DOE emails to your own personal email system. Create an online folder for all this using either dropbox.com, Google Drive or iCloud.
- Depending on your relationship with your Chapter Leader, and their relationship with your administration, notify them.
- Try not to let the harassment get you and affect your work and livelihood. We know that is easier said than done, but bullies like to see a reaction. Smile at them.
- Contact your borough district representative and make an appointment to come in to file an Article 23 Special Harassment complaint. Be prepared for a response from the UFT such as “You don’t have enough documentation.” or “These are very hard to win.” Don’t take no for an answer.
- We are looking to file mass complaints on the 23rd of each month. Get it? Article 23…23rd of the month?
- Continue doing your best.
- We are here to help you along the way. email us at email@example.com
Remember that we are running to change the UFT this April. Print and post our flyer at your workplace uftsolidarity.org/volunteer and share UFT2016.com